Thursday, October 14, 2010

King Arthur Flour Purchase and Fudge Brownies

I recently placed an order at the King Arthur Flour company- where all great ingredients come from. I've been miffed by this 'espresso powder' I see in tons of recipes but can never find in the grocery so I purchased some off KAF as well as some of their Double Dutch Dark Cocoa to make their Fudgy Brownie Recipe. I also browsed the site while I was there and picked out some cappuccino chips, a chocolate spatula thermometer, and a cube sponge for cleaning my cupcake pans. Here is my collective loot:


If you can't tell the cappuccino chips were completely melted into a blob when they arrived so that was a HUGE disappointment. No cute cappuccino chip cookies with those. I decided to chop up part of the blob and add it to the Fudgy Brownies I made last night. Here's the blob when I pulled it out of the bag:
Needless to say, very disappointed here. Always order meltables in winter, even if you're having a chilly fall, not everyone is apparently.

The Fudgy brownie recipe by King Arthur Flour has been popping up on a few blogs so as a self-professed box mix brownie lover I felt I had to try it out. Once I got the major ingredients in the mail (i.e. espresso powder and double dutch dark cocoa) I was ready to bake. The recipe was super easy and the end result was... AMAZING! I totally dropped the ball and had no ice cream in my apartment when they were hot and delicious, but they went fabulously with some skim milk mmmm. Here is a picture of them out of the pan:

Definitely try this recipe!

King Arthur Fudgy Brownies:

1c (2 sticks) unsalted butter
2 1/4c sugar
4 lg eggs
1 1/4c Double-Dutch Dark Cocoa
1t salt
1t baking powder
1t espresso powder
1t vanilla
1 1/2c King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour (I used regular flour)
2c chocolate chips (I used half semi-sweet chocolate chips and half cappuccino chips)

Preheat to 350F.

In a medium bowl, or in a saucepan set over low heat, melt the butter. Add the sugar and stir to combine. Return the mixture to the heat (or microwave) briefly, just until it's hot (about 110°F to 120°F), but not bubbling.

In a large bowl, beat eggs, cocoa, salt, espresso powder, and vanilla. Add in butter mixture. Add in flour and mix until well combined. Stir in chips. Pour batter into a greased 13"x9" pan and bake for about 30 minutes. If you cut this recipe in half and use an 8"x8" pan bake for about 20 minutes (that's what I did).

You can pretty much add whatever chips/nuts/dried fruits you want at the end but if you don't want them to melt, make sure the batter is cool before you add them. Enjoy!

1 comment: