Monday, October 4, 2010

Adventures in Filling Cake Orders

Recently, my friend Todd asked if I could make cupcakes for his lady's kid's birthday party in October. I of course said yes because Todd is one of the nicest people I know and would probably help me out whenever I asked. Anywho, the theme of the party is monkeys and banana was requested. Now, banana is not a flavor that I personally like. I Love plain bananas but things that are banana flavored don't exactly light my fire I suppose. I found a recipe for banana cupcakes by Martha Stewart (I figured I couldn't go wrong with Martha) that a lot of bloggers were using and I decided to give it a trial run this past weekend. I think the consistency of the cupcake turned out great and the banana flavor was definitely coming through strong. I made 6 and gave 5 to the Todd to taste test since I can't really be objective about banana. This recipe also got a thumbs up from his corner so I'm stickin to it! I decided to pair it with peanut butter icing and dip the whole situation in chocolate like a hi-hat cupcake. Here are the various stages and results of this adventure:

Banana Cupcake with Peanut Butter Icing


Dipping the Cupcakes


Freshly Dipped Cupcakes


Banana Peanut Butter Hi-Hat Cupcake


We decided that minis would be better for kiddos (I had to eat mine with a fork it was so huge) but I'm excited to make the full order in a couple of weeks :) Here's the recipe:

Banana Peanut Butter Hi-Hat Cupcakes (adapted from Martha Stewart Banana Cupcakes)

Cupcakes (makes 12):
1 1/2c flour
3/4c sugar
1t baking powder
1/2t baking soda
1/4t salt
1/2c (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
2 mashed ripe bananas
2 lg eggs
1/2t vanilla

Preheat to 325F. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

In a large bowl beat together butter, bananas, eggs, and vanilla. Stir in dry ingredients until just incorporated. Fill liners 3/4 full and bake for about 25 minutes. Cool on rack.

Peanut Butter Icing:
1c peanut butter (I use reduced fat JIF)
3T unsalted butter, softened
1t vanilla
1T milk
powdered sugar

Beat peanut butter and butter until smooth. Add in vanilla and milk. Add powdered sugar until desired consistency is reached.

Chocolate Shell:
12oz bag of mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
3T oil

Melt chocolates with oil in double boiler. Dip cupcakes in chocolate (it's best to use a cup or something deep enough for your cupcakes and just as wide as your cupcakes plus your fingers). Let set at room temp for 5 minutes. Set fully in refrigerator. Store in refrigerator until ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment