Wednesday, October 20, 2010

JP's Birthday Cupcakes: White Russian Cupcakes

Today is one of my former roomies', JP's, birthday! A few of us went to Perry's Steakhouse and Grille to celebrate last night. Since we've all been doing birthdays for about 2 years now, we've hit up most of the usual spots in Clear Lake so, in order to change it up a bit, we went fancy for this birthday celebration. Perry's was super nice and the food was amazing. Our waiter was excellent, he even took back a pork chop that had been undercooked (without us asking I might add) and brought out a fresh one and the manager offered a free dessert for the wait. Excellent service! Here is the birthday boy and his pendulum of kabob (The Symphony Kabob):


And my meal (Sesame crusted Ahi Tuna):

This was super delicious, I love pan seared tuna and the sesame crust wasn't too bad. the wonton salad that is on top of the tuna was a perfect complement and had a light and tasty sauce. Very thrilled!

JP's bday dessert (Dessert Trio: Praline cheesecake, vanilla bean crème brulée, and a Grand Marnier truffle):



We decided (and by we I mean Ryan) that we were pretty stuffed after dinner and saved the cupcakes until we reached Club Haven. I hadn't told JP what kind they were and I thought that just the scent of the Kahlua in these bad boys would be a giveaway but everyone said the Kahlua wasn't as overpowering as I had feared. They got it once they tasted a bit but not from the scent alone, phew! I had been worried that they were a little much. Enjoy your White Russian Cupcakes, JP!



Recipe (adapted from Cookies & Candids and Here):

Cupcakes (makes about 20)
1c milk
2t vinegar
1c Kahlua
2/3c oil
1 1/2c sugar
6t vanilla
2 1/2c flour
4T cornstarch
1 1/2t baking powder
1t baking soda
1t salt

Glaze/topping:
1/4c Kahlua
1/4c vanilla vodka

Icing
2c heavy whipping cream
4T powdered sugar
6T Kahlua

Preheat to 325F.

Add vinegar to milk and stir. Allow to sit for several minutes to curdle.

In a large bowl mix together Kahlua, oil, sugar and vanilla. Mix in milk after siting time.

In a medium bowl, sift together flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the large bowl and mix until no lumps remain. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for about 20 minutes. Take out and allow to cool in pan for 5 minutes. Remove from Pan and place on cooling rack.

Mix together the glaze/topping. Poke deep holes in the cupcakes with a toothpick. Using a basting brush apply the glaze to the tops of the cupcakes while still somewhat warm. Allow the cupcakes to cool fully before frosting.

For the icing, place mixing bowl and whisk in the freezer for a minute. Remove from freezer and pour whipping cream into the bowl. Whisk on high for about 2 minutes or until the cream has thickened. Add powdered sugar and Kahlua. Continue whisking on high until stiff peaks form (at least another minute). Pipe onto cooled cupcakes. I then grated some semi-sweet chocolate to garnish the cupcakes. *I also did a Kahlua buttercream icing but I think it was too sweet for these cupcakes- you can see it in the second picture.

*I have also seen recipes that use 1/2c Kahlua and 1/2c vodka in the cake batter, this could be a good recipe alteration.

2 comments:

  1. I love your sparrow plates! I've noticed them in a couple of your cupcake presentations - where did you get them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got the cupcake stand from a store on Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/whitneysmith I'm dying to get one of her cake plates or nesting bowls, but I think i might get a few more cupcake stands from some other vendors first (see my Etsy favorites on the right side of the blog).

    ReplyDelete