Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Crockpot Chicken Chili

When winter finally rolls around to Texas, I start feeling like using my crockpot again. i dunno why I don't really consider this to be a summer appliance, but there you have it. I was also recently reminded by my friend Ryan that I even had a crockpot because he got one for Christmas. Things tend to become forgotten in my giant storage box of kitchen supplies. I found this great recipe for healthy chicken chili and I tried it right away. Gotta love dumping cans of yummies in the crockpot in the morning and coming home to a full blown meal!

I recently read on a blog that an easy way to shred chicken was to put it in your stand mixer with the paddle attachment for a few seconds. Worked like a charm! Goodbye fork shredding for hours!

Finished product!


Recipe:
Crockpot Chicken Chili (from Skinnytaste)

1 onion, chopped
1 16oz can black beans
1 16oz can kidney beans
1 16oz can tomato sauce
2 16oz cans corn
2 14.5oz cans diced tomatoes w/chilies
1 packet taco seasoning
1T cumin
1T chili powder
24oz chicken breast (I used 9 chicken tenderloins)
chili peppers, chopped
chopped fresh cilantro for topping
cheese for topping

*Be sure to drain and rinse the beans and corn. I also drained the diced tomatoes a bit to avoid a runny chili

Combine onion, beans, sauce, corn, tomatoes, taco seasoning, cumin, and chili powder in crockpot. Mix well. Lay the chicken on top. Cover and heat on low for 9.5 hours. Remove chicken and shred. Stir shredded chicken into the crockpot mixture. Heat on low for another 30min. Serve with cheese and cilantro or your choice of toppings.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment