Friday, March 4, 2011

Chicken and Cashew Nuts

My favorite dish to order at a typical Chinese food establishment is shrimp and cashew nuts, however this recipe called for chicken and I figured I'd try it that way before making any alterations. I have been craving Chinese food lately ever since a strong urge to eat egg rolls came to me the night of Steph's bday celebration. Unfortunately, Chinese food gives my tummy the rumblies probably due to how awful it is for you. I wanted a meal that tasted quite close to my favorite dish, but without the annoying side effects and I believe this recipe is a winner! I like the chicken, but next time I'm definitely trying the shrimp. Check it out:


Recipe
Chicken and Cashew Nuts (from Cook Like a Champion):
2T cornstarch
6T water
2T hoisin sauce
1T white vinegar
1T olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2c roasted, unsalted cashews
1lb boneless, skinless chicken, chopped into bite-sized pieces
s&p
green bell pepper, chopped
Brown rice for serving

In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and water, whisk until smooth. Stir in hoisin and vinegar, set aside. Add oil to large skillet and set over med-low heat. Add garlic and cashews and stir until garlic is golden and fragrant, be careful not to let it burn. Season chicken with S&P and add to skillet. Cook until no longer pink, then add pepper and cornstarch mixture. Continue cooking, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes or until the sauce has thickened a little. Serve with rice.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment