Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Day 6 of 12 Days of Cupcakes: Dulce de Leche Cupcakes

Whooooaaaa we're half way there!!! Pretty excited to be half way through my cupcake challenge (that I issued to myself). These cupcakes have long been on my recipes to try pile because I could never find dulce de leche in the grocery and I was too lazy to make it myself (cooking sweetened condensed milk for hours doesn't sound like any fun). I recently, however, was buying peanut butter in Kroger and spyed a can of dulce de leche listed as a "NEW!" item. This all seems odd to me since sometimes I feel like I live in Mexico, if there was ever a place to find Hispanic cooking/baking ingredients it should be here in Houston. At least I finally found it! It was well worth the wait, let me tell you! It's pretty much a caramel flavor, only way better. I'm completely hooked. This cake is dense and yet somehow moist as well. I suppose it could get dry eventually, but day 2=moistness! Here are my pics:





Recipe:
Dulce de Leche Cupcakes (from Amy of Playing House)

Cupcakes:
1 1/2c flour
1/2t baking powder
1/4t salt
3/4c brown sugar
1/2c sugar
1 stick butter, softened
2 lg eggs
1/2t vanilla
3/4c milk

Filling:
1/2c dulce de leche, melted

Frosting:
1 1/2 sticks butter, softened
1/2c dulce de leche
1 1/2T heavy cream
1t vanilla
1/2t sea salt

Cupcakes:
Preheat to 325F. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. In a large bowl, beat together butter, brown sugar, and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and vanilla, mix until combined. Alternate adding the flour and milk, starting and ending with the flour. Fill the cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for 20 minutes. Cool completely. Cut a well in the centers of the cupcakes and fill with melted dulce de leche.

Frosting:
Beat the butter and dulce de leche until smooth. Add cream, vanilla, and salt. Mix until well incorporated. Add powdered sugar until desired consistency is reached. Frost cooled cupcakes.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment