Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Day 3 of 12 Days of Cupcakes: Maple French Toast Cupcakes

These cupcakes originally intrigued me because they used a different flavoring for the sweetener in the icing: maple syrup! And since I just happened to have some on hand (from what I can't currently remember) I decided to give them a go. I altered them from the original recipe to not contain any bacon because I don't eat bacon. However, I think this may have altered the recipe for the worst. The cupcake was a little dry and the icing was a lot sweet. I included my recommendations for improving this recipe should you decide to go bacon-free. Here is my first trial of this cupcake (I hope to try again in the future):




Recipe
Maple french Toast Cupcakes (from The Busty Baker)

Cupcakes:
1 1/2c flour
1 1/2t baking powder
1/2t cinnamon
1/4t salt
1c sugar
1/2c butter (substitute some butter for oil or applesauce to make it moister), melted then cooled
2 eggs
1t maple extract
1/2c milk

Frosting:
3/4c butter, softened
2T pure maple syrup
1/2t maple extract
pinch of salt (I would use 1/2t sea salt to contrast with the ultra sweet maple flavor)
confectioners sugar

Cupcakes:
Preheat to 325F.
In a small bowl mix flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
In a large bowl beat butter, sugar, and eggs until smooth. Whisk in maple extract. Alternate adding flour mixture and milk, beginning and ending with flour. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full. Bake for 18 minutes. Cool completely.

Frosting:
Beat butter until light and fluffy. Mix in maple syrup, maple extract, and salt until well combined. Add powdered sugar until desired consistency is reached. Frost cooled cupcakes as desired.

Let me know if you have any other alterations. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment