Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Day 2 of 12 Days of Cupcakes: Boston Cream Cupcakes

Back in my younger years (i.e. high school) I used to be able to eat anything at any time. One of my favorite terrible snacks was doughnuts, and my favorite of all was the Boston cream. My track coach/ Calculus teacher, Mr. Snyder, was also a huge fan of doughnuts so I would occasionally snag a couple on my way to school (I had late entry for my college classes), ya know for Coach and just happen to get one or two for myself as well. Yum. Nowadays the fried-ness of doughnuts tears up my stomach and pretty much guarantees me a tummy ache. So, in order to capture the single serving essence of Boston cream pie, I decided to attempt this Boston Cream Cupcake recipe. I must say, it turned out completely delicious as I had hoped! Check out this beauty:

Pre-Assembly:

Finished Product:

Delicious center:


Recipe
Boston Cream Cupcakes (adapted from Sugar Plum):

Cupcakes:
1 1/4c flour
2t baking powder
1/4t salt
6T butter, softened
2/3c sugar
2 lg eggs
1t vanilla extract
1/2c buttermilk
1/4c sour cream

Filling:
1 lg egg yolk
1/2c heavy cream
1/4c sugar
1 1/2T corn starch, sifted
1/8t salt
1T butter
1/2t vanilla

Ganache:
1/2c semisweet chocolate chips
3T heavy cream

Cupcakes:
Preheat to 325F. In a medium bowl sift together flour, baking powder, and salt.
In a large bowl beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla until well combined. Beat in buttermilk and sour cream until combined. Gradually beat in flour mixture until just combined. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for 15 minutes. Cool completely.

Filling:
In a small bowl whisk the egg yolk. In a small saucepan over medium heat, whisk together cream, sugar, cornstarch, and salt until well combined. Continue to cook until mixture is hot, whisking frequently. pour half of the cream mixture into the small bowl with the egg yolk, whisking constantly. Pour back into the saucepan. Cook for another 1-2 minutes, whisking constantly, until thickened. Strain out the lumps and add butter and vanilla. Stir until completely combined. Cool to room temperature.

Ganache:
Put chocolate and cream in a microwave safe bowl and heat for 1 minutes, stirring every 20 seconds, until melted smooth.

To assemble, cut out a ball of cake from the center of the cupcake and fill the hole with custard. Pout ganache over tops of cupcakes.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment