Thursday, July 11, 2013

Fried 'Rice'

I loooooove Chinese food, but it does not love me so much. Pretty much enter food coma mode immediately after eating it and have indigestion for about a day after. Good times (and possibly a TMI). So, when I saw this recipe for fried 'rice' quinoa I knew I had to give it a whirl. It is pretty darn delicious, and an actual close match in taste too. I never go into a 'healtified' version of something delicious thinking it will taste the same, I just hope that it will satisfy the craving in some way. This recipe did both! Try it and let me know if you agree.


Recipe:
Fried 'Rice' Quinoa (original recipe from Cooking for Keeps)

1c quinoa
2c low sodium chicken stock
1/4c sweet onion, chopped
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 t ginger
1T olive oil
2 eggs slightly beaten
1/2c frozen peas, thawed
1 1/2T Teriaki sauce
2 1/2T soy sauce
3/4t sesame oil

Thoroughly rinse quinoa. Place quinoa in a large sauce pan with the chicken stock. Bring to a boil over high heat. Lower heat to medium and cover. Cook for 10 minutes or until all stock is gone. Remove from heat, fluff quinoa with a fork, and cool.

In a small bowl, combine the Teriaki sauce, soy sauce, and sesame oil. Set aside.

Heat 1/2T olive oil in a skillet over high heat. Add onion and carrot. Cook for about 2 minutes. Add garlic and ginger to the pan. Cook another 2 minutes. Add the remaining 1 1/2T olive oil and the quinoa. Stir-fry for about 2 minutes. Add sauce and stir-fry until incorporated. Make a well in the center of the pan. Add eggs and scramble. Throw in the peas and stir-fry until everything is incorporated and warm. Enjoy!

*I think next time I may add pork since my favorite fried rice is pork fried rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment