Friday, August 17, 2012

Chocolate Stout Cheesecake with Pretzel Crust

The same night I made the halibut I also needed a dessert. Oddly I had all the ingredients to try a chocolate stout cheesecake recipe I had been holding onto for awhile. I wasn't sure how I was going to feel about this since the chocolate stout cupcakes I make are very stout-flavored, but it was delicious. Not too sweet thanks to the beer, but very chocolaty. It could probably be a little better if I had bothered to go out and buy a chocolate stout, but I had Guinness in the fridge so I just used that. Here she is:




Recipe:
Chocolate Stout Cheesecake with Pretzel Crust (recipe from The Beeroness)

Crust:
4 graham crackers
1c pretzel rods (I used a hand full)
2T brown sugar
3T butter

Filling:
8oz dark chocolate (I used one Ghirardelli semisweet bar and a bittersweet bar)
1c chocolate stout (I used Guinness)
3 (8oz) pkg cream cheese, softened
1 1/4c sugar
3 eggs
2T flour
1/3c cocoa powder
1/2t salt
1T espresso powder (just discovered that mine has formed a rock in the container so I skipped it)

Topping:
1c sour cream
1/4c powdered sugar
2T chocolate stout

In your oven, place one rack in the middle, with another rack immediately below. Preheat to 350F.

In a food processor (I used a blender), add the graham crackers, pretzel rods and brown sugar. Run until crumbs are all that remain. With the processor on, add butter and run until it is well mixed.

Coat the inside of a 9" spring form pan with butter (or Pam baking spray with flour). Pour the crust crumbs into the pan. Using the bottom of a flat, heavy glass, press the crumbs into a well packed crust. Bake for 10 minutes, allow to cool completely.

In a pot over medium heat, warm together beer and chocolate. Stir until melted, allow to cool.

In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating in between additions. Pour the cooled chocolate mixture into the bowl. Beat until well combined. Sprinkle the flour, cocoa powder, espresso powder, and salt over the bowl. Stir until just combined.

Pour the batter over the crust. Place on the middle rack in the oven. Place a baking pan filled with water on the rack directly below. This will keep your cheesecake from cracking. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until the center no longer shakes when you wiggle it.

Meanwhile, add the topping ingredients to a bowl and whisk until well combined. After cheesecake is baked, pour topping over it and return to oven for 8 minutes.

Allow to cool for at least 3 hours. Overnight in the refrigerator is best.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment