Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Violet Velvet Cookies

Everyone knows that red velvet cake is a staple and favorite of the South. I personally love red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese icing all year round and the mention of red velvet always brings to mind the Steel Magnolias groomsman cake. I stumbled upon an interesting variation to this Southern classic the other day and I had to try them immediately. They were red velvet cookies with black and white icing. I wanted them to be more like their cake name-sake and switched the icing to cream cheese. After I started mixing I realized I didn't have any red food coloring due to so many previous batched of red velvet cupcakes and I substituted with violet food coloring. And voila, violet velvet cookies with cream cheese icing:



As expected, they were delicious and I pretty much inhaled them.

Violet Velvet Cookies:

1 1/4c flour
1 T dark cocoa powder
1/2 t salt
1/2 t baking soda
5 T butter, room temp
3/4c sugar
1 lg egg
1 T violet food coloring
1 t vanilla
1/2c buttermilk

Preheat oven to 325F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. In a medium bowl mix flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. In large bowl, beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in the egg, food coloring, and vanilla. Add in flour and buttermilk alternating until smooth and fully Incorporated. Place 1/4c scoops 2 in apart on baking sheet. Spread the batter out slightly until somewhat flat. Bake about 12-15 minutes. Let cookies sit 5 minutes and then transfer to a rack to cool.

Cream Cheese Icing

1 (8oz) brick cream cheese, room temp
1 t vanilla
~5c powdered sugar

Beat the cream cheese until smooth. Ass vanilla and powdered sugar until desired consistency is achieved. Spread icing on cooled cookies. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment