Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Chipotle (flavored) Burritos

Since I eat lunch at home everyday I'm always looking for delicious meals that are easy to fix. Usually I have steamed veggies and an open-faced tuna sandwich. Sometimes I mix it up and have chicken salad/ grilled cheese/ open-faced tomato but I recently stumbled upon an idea that's so easy I'm embarrassed to have not done it myself. Burritos! They're easy to assemble in mass quantity and real easy to reheat. Since it's a lunch meal I only took one hurried picture while eating, but believe me they're worth a try!


Recipe
Chipotle Burritos (adapted from A Bitchin' Kitchen):

2T oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
2t chili powder
2 peppers from a can of chipotles in adobo
2T sauce from the can of chipotles in adobo
2t cumin
dash of cayenne pepper
2/3c water
1 lb chicken tenderloins
1 (15oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15oz) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 small onion, chopped
1/4c fresh pico de gayo
6 tortillas
4oz grated monterey jack cheese
baby spinach leaves
Greek yogurt, plain

I cooked the chicken separate from the beans and onion, but you can always cook the chicken all the way through and add the beans and onion after. I was worried about over cooking the chicken and split up the two. To do this you need to split the first 8 ingredients into two (i.e. 1T oil, 2 cloves garlic, etc) skillets. Mix the ingredients thoroughly and add the chicken to one pan and the beans and onion to the other. Cook the chicken until cooked through. Bring the beans to a simmer and then lower heat to med-low, cover, and cook for about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Divide the ingredients between the tortillas and wrap all but one in foil and store in your refrigerator until lunch! This was a really great way to mix up my usual lunch, I hope you give it a try. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment